Wednesday, May 01, 2002

Set off yesterday evening to meet the training bash. I left the hotel in bright, slightly overcast, not too cold weather. I had a good look around at the sky, looked set fair so no gloves or overshoes. Oh dear.
Just arrived at the corner and spits of rain began to fall, as the guys assembled (including Mr. Elite cat) the rain really hammered down. My hands grew colder and colder. Off we went after ensuring we hung around long enough for my hands to get really cold. Rain continued, so the roads were soaking so my feet got colder. At the back of my head was the thought I could bail out and go back to the hotel. My hands were so cold I could'nt hold the bars too well, and changing gears & braking was a bind. Swung onto the A6 and started working, well, lets see if the effort warms up my hands. Through Adlington, where were we going ? Turned and back towards the Rivington circuit. my hand got OK. 3 laps of the circuit. Only me and the elite cat. worked all the time. A youngster came through now and again as did the guy from Reading. Some other guy just hung on the back, and we left a couple that joined en route for dead. Well I really gave myself a bashing last night. What is the point of joining a training bash and just sitting in ? The whole point of training has to be specific for something, in my case it is speed, so pushing through to the front improves speed. Sitting on the back just improves the ability to grovel on the back of a group, which is'nt how to win races.
When we finished the last lap and eased off I got steadily colder, going up the slight hill on the A6 I felt pretty whacked. Into my room, my socks were black, so I washed 'em, my bottoms were sodden so I washed the mud and grime out. Having to do this almost at the beginning of May ! Then I stood in the shower with pins and needles in my hands and feet as they warmed up. Stood a few minutes putting a streeam of hot water on my feet and knees. Began to get warm. But the rest of the ev evening felt a bit stiff and tired, riding hard in the cold and wet was'nt a good idea, but I needed a good long thrash, I can ease off now and do active recuperation by a steady ride this evening. I took a couple of paracetamol when I could'nt sleep last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home