Monday, June 10, 2002

Monday. Only up here for three days, and arranged my hotel so I stay over Wednesday, so if the night gets interesting I can take things easy on Thursday morning. Though I really do need a couple of days in the office to prepare for a sales demo next week.
So then, to racing. Arrived home early on Friday so went and did some sprint training. Did 10 flat-out 15 second sprints, from a standing start rolled up to 25 mph, then did 15 seconds at 30-32 mph on a flat thought damp road. Did 2 minute breaks, then after 5 I was slowing and HR was peaking at 154 so took a 5 minute break. Then back to 159-160 HR. Now I should start longer intervals. So a week should be a steady ride, 1 to 1.5 hours, 1 set of sprints or long intervals, and the group bash, or long intervals. So 2 really hard rides, and one hard (the bash) plus a couple of steady.
Yersterdays race. Hee hee hee. Got wet. When we started it was dry, going onto the back of the circuit started drizzle, ugh I thought. Then onto the long bit to the finish, up the hill. As usual (will I ever learn) I was with the tail-end-charlies so when the pace went up over the hill and riders started getting dropped I had to keep jumping hard to get to the group in front, took my a couple of miles of really hard work to get back with the pack. Then down the back it started hammering rain. Ugh ugh. A break of 9 went halfway through the 3rd lap, we kept them at 20/30 seconds. Going onto the back on the last lap a couple of the guys organised us 8 into a chase, we got going pretty well and caught the break. Someone jumped away at the corner and stayed away until the finish. I thought about having a go in the sprint but going up the hill my legs felt dead, pushed a bit but did'nt have any speed, beat a few so came in something like 10th? 12th ? out of 17. My hands were too cold to open my car so went and changed and got some tea befoore I started feeling normal again. Next race I really must get and stay near the front. What happened to my tactical awareness ? I have forgotton so much from last racing year of 1989. I checked my diary and I last rode that circuit in 1987, fast 60 miles, won by some pro scouser I think. I noted that I got shot out on the corners because of the speed, so I probably had no bother on the hills, and no doubt kept nearer the front so there were plenty behind to help me get on again when I got zapped out on the corners. Les West rode in the CDE race, told me and Niel Martin about his 130 training ride, all to prepare for a 33 mile race ! At least us ABs did 4 laps, 44 miles. He also said the circuit had a downhill and sharp corner and uphill bit cut out. That sharp corner was the one I think I kept getting shot out of in 1987, I remember having to sprint hard up that hill to get back on. I also think I finished about the same then, and that breaks got caught, I had a go at jumping away but they got me back and about 20 of us were in at the finish. AND it was dry, though later in the summer of 1987 it rained loads. I hope this year we are getting the rain out of the way early on, and July onwards are dry.
Now my ears are'nt right, I slight echoey feel about them. Talked to Niel and his Mum, brought back memories of starting racing back in 1972 and 1973 with the Birchfield. Realised that I did a 12 minute 5 when I was just 16 in 1972 with the Birchfield. Thats was'nt bad for no real training, on an old bike with a cottered steel chainset, 5 gears and heavy wheels ! Ah, what a fresh young talent I was then. Then in early 1973 when I met the Mercury training bash, if I could have had proper coaching I would have got better quicker. Instead of making lots of mistakes and having to pick up tips from other helpful riders. I suppose they felt sorry for this scawny beanpole riding on a pathetic looking old bike, especially when I could keep up with them after a few weeks. God, I feel so good about my bike nowadays, I'm sure having to ride that old bike and then making do with second hand equipment in my junior years makes me appreciate what I have now far more. I think I'm going to be very indulgent to my son if he races, so Imust try not to ! Niels son is keen I saw him on a fairly flash looking bike. I'm damn sure my David will have my old stuff to ride on. Probably.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home