Wednesday, May 29, 2002

Ho hum. Wednesday, sober and bored. Yesterday afternoon got the guys in the US on the server here and sorted out at least one problem. Then I went on the Horwich bash. Imagine my horror as one after another of the MK Cycles guys turned up, then 2 lesser riders, then a guy out of the GB squad. Off we went, ater 2 miles we'd dropped the other 2 lesser riders. Up through Adlington and into the wind the GB rider was pushing it so I kept off the front. Did 1 lap of Rivington, ugh, start of second lap MK sticky-out ears guy pushed it hard, then over the top of the hill he just dropped off the back.
I went to go through, tatooed arms was pushing hard and I dropped back, then thought sod it. Lets not get kicked by young fit strong riders today, lets wait for the other 3 that got dropped, waited a long time though, and did a whole lap on my own and turned back before they appeared !
We then waited for the MK/GB threesome, did the last lap with them, and boy did it hurt up the hills. Rode back through Horwich chatting to old guy (53, not that far off for me) that rides LVRC, he's riding the 2 day this weekend.
If I stay up here in Horwich I might stop going on the bash if the same riders turn up each week. Now I know why no-one else goes. Whats the point of 3 guys riding so hard everyone else gets shelled out ? These group rides should stay together. There was one guy, one of the lesser riders. When he went to the front he went too hard and roared off, then he got dropped afer 2 or 3 turns on the front ! Whats that about ? Apparently no-one has told him how to ride in a group, if he was helped he would last longer and get more out the ride. No-one helps him, but if I see him again, I will advise him on the finer points of 'bit and bit' riding. The old guy said he had only raced a couple of seasons. Well on my first go in a training bash I was given advice, and seemed to get advice from all sorts of people. Old pros, the club coach, other riders. Doe'snt anyone help out inexperienced riders nowadays ?
Then finished off my evening by washing all my cycling socks and shorts.
Weather is still cold, windy and wet. Rained loads yesterday but stayed dry for the bash, started spitting when I got back to the hotel.
This evening might do some intervals. As in 6 seconds flat out in a big gear. I would rather do this than a long ride. I'll do a long but steady ride Thursday evening, weather permitting.
Oh, talked to the old boot and the male fruit of my loins has crashed on his bike. Again. I thought he was getting too cocky. Sunday he decided to tuck his trousers in on the move and hime & the bike did a somersault. Not much injury though he did scratch all the top of his STI shifters. Yesterday evening he skidded on some gravel and came down on his elbow. Had to pick out some gravel with tweezers. Ah, I remember the joy of picking gravel out of my elbow once-upon-a-time. Lets hope this does'nt deter him from cycling too much. You see son, with fun often comes pain. Not in exact measures, but its usefull to know the consequences of the ground. The ground is much harder than us. So try not to hit it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home