Monday, April 01, 2002

Aughoougha. Its MONDAY. But no work, because it is a bank holiday, which is what we call a public holiday in little old England. So, I've had such a long break from my daily labours that I've almost forgotton what to do ! So maybe I won't bother going back. In my dreams. I've go a mortgage, wife, family and mistress to support. Not easy. Oh the hoops I've had to jump through to pull in a few more quid. Well, whatever, last Friday I rode the dreaded Wyre Forest Hilly Time Trial, which meant starting up a steep hill in sub zero temperatures early in the morning. Followed by a brief steep downhill, a steady uphill, then a rolling 8 miles with the wind on my back, then a long swoop down, all the time I could see more and more of the nemisis appearing through the clearing mists; Clee Hill, rising to 1700 feet, so a solid 1000 feet of uphill, it hurt more and more, as the slope eased off, I tried to push harder in a bigger gear which was a mistake, I had to drop down a gear to ease the pain. Got to the top, which was half way through the 27 miles, started down to the valley, 4 miles downhill or so I hoped ! Some steep bits down, flat and little bits uphill and all the time trying tokeep the pressure on. Down into the valley, 4 flat miles, but into the wind, so I got down into the aero tuck and gave it big licks, another mistake. After the vally, there was 4 miles to the finish, mostly uphill. Turned off the valley road into a hill and oh lordy, my legs were shot after pushing hard along the valley into a headwind. So I was watching the miles slowly tick down, very slowly as my legs felt more they belonged to someone else, a very unfit someone. Even the downhill bits hurt, I think I lost about 4 or 5 minutes here, over a minute a mile. I was so glad just to stop racing. Next weekend its a team time trial, 50 kilometers with 3 others out the club, I've no idea who I'm riding with, I just hope they are the same level a me, not so strong and I'll end up doing all the work, stronger and they'll roast me, but I feel good enough to ride with anyone, so COME ON, BRING 'EM ON!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home